How Can We Help?
How To: Add Resources to a BFCA Course
A Resource is an item that an instructor can use to support learning, such as a file or web link. Each resource appears as a link preceded by an icon that represents the resource type (File, Folder, Page, URL, etc.). Most resources allow settings such as conditions for viewing, or display properties. They can be moved, hidden, and edited by a Teacher or Course Designer, but only viewed/downloaded by students.
Types of resources
Available Resource types include:
- File – Post a file for your students to download. A File can be a text document, a spreadsheet, an audio file, video file, etc.
Folder – To save space on your the BFCA Education Portal course page, you can put multiple files in a Folder.
- IMS content package – Upload and post content packaged in the IMS format, typically from text book publishers.
- Label – Organize and add visual interest to your course home page by using Labels to add sub-headings, annotations, and images to Topic or Weekly sections.
Page – Students see a single, scrollable page that an instructor creates with the robust HTML editor.
- URL – Send your students to any location they can reach on their Web browser.
Add Resource using the activity chooser
- On your main course page, click Turn editing on (top right). Editing icons and links will appear..
- Locate the Section where you want the resource to appear, and click the Section title to open if it is collapsed. Click + Add an activity or resource. The Activity Chooser will open.
- Scroll down to the Resources heading. Click a Resource one time to see a description of the resource and support links in the right side of the window (double-clicking will add the resource to your the BFCA Education Portal page).
- Select the type of resource you want to add, then double-click or click Add. The Add Resource page will open.
Depending on the type of Resource you’ve chosen, you will have different settings options. Click particular headings to view those settings, or Expand all (top right) to view all settings.
- Complete all required fields, then click Save and return to course or Save and display.
Once you have added a resource, you can:
- Move the resource link up or down the course page by dragging it by its Move icon. You can even drag items between Sections. (If you use the Collapsed topics format, the target section must be toggled open.)
- Configure its settings by clicking Edit (at the right of resource), then selecting Edit settings from the Edit drop-down menu.
- Hide a resource that you are not ready to release to students by clicking its Hide icon from the Edit drop-down menu.